Did you know that chiropractic is not just about treating pain? Chiropractors the world over believe that a healthy nervous system means a healthy body. You may well have had a maintenance treatment suggested to you and felt that it was unnecessary because you are no longer in pain.
It is about restoring function. If your joints are not working properly then you have weakened muscles, reduced nervous system function and pain. All your body is regulated by your nervous system so doesn’t it make sense to try and make sure it is all working properly?
Back in the 1920s Dr Winsor tried an experiment to discredit chiropractic beliefs; he said “Chiropractors claim that by adjusting one vertebra in the spine, they can relieve stomach troubles and ulcers; by adjusting another, menstrual cramps and headaches; and by adjusting others conditions such as kidney diseases, constipation, heart disease, thyroid conditions, and lung disease may resolve – but how?”
What he did was dissect cadavers to identify any relationship between diseased organs (discovered on autopsy) and the vertebrae associated with the nerves that went to the organ. He looked for minor curvatures of the spine, diseased organs, and whether the two events were completely unrelated.
Guess what he found? Out of 221 diseased organs he found related spinal problems in 212 – that’s a 96% correlation!
• All nine cases of spinal misalignment in the mid-thoracic area had stomach disease.
• All 26 cases of lung disease had spinal misalignments in the upper thoracic spine.
• All 13 cases of liver disease had misalignments in the mid thoracic
• All five cases with gallstone disease had spinal misalignments in the mid thoracic.
• All three cases with pancreas disease had spinal misalignments in the mid thoracic spine.
• All 11 cases with spleen diseases had spinal misalignments in the mid thoracic spine.
• All 17 cases with kidney disease were out of alignment in the lower thoracic spine.
• All eight cases with kidney, prostate and bladder disease had the lumbar vertebrae misaligned
• The two cases with the uterine conditions had the second lumbar misaligned.
• All 20 cases with heart and pericardium conditions had the upper five thoracic vertebrae (T1-T5) misaligned.
So what does this mean? First of all it supported chiropractic theory and it is no wonder that this bit of research has disappeared from medical view. But secondly it reinforces the fact that that the nervous system is a very important part of the body’s whole function and it is chiropractic treatment that can make sure that it is all working.
A nervous system that is working optimally will sustain a measurably longer and much higher quality life, than without.